Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Homemade Sore Throat Drops


Ok, I fully admit and acknowledge that these are fairly odd looking throat drops. 
Ok, I also fully admit and acknowledge that they look like... well... animal droppings. BUT these things are awesome, work great, are chemical free, organic and natural. So it's true they have no preservatives or natural coloring but they work.
I don't offer these on my site because it's too hard to make enough of these for open sales. I make enough for my family and friends and for specific pre-sales by clients who request them. Making them is pretty easy, it is the rolling and wrapping and storing that is harder in large quantities because they are organic and somewhat fragile little drops of goodness. 
Before we get to making them, let's discuss the taste. They are organic and there is no artificial colors or flavors. That being said, these are pretty good! They have a gentle earthy honey taste. Any child I have offered them to has also liked them as long as they are prepared to NOT expect super wild double cherry sour candy.
These drops not only provide relief for your throat... they offer the benefits of each ingredient including organic, unpasteurized raw honey which has antibacterial, antimicrobial and pro-biotic properties. Plus vitamins and a bunch of other great properties that you can Google should you be interested.
These also contain Echinacia which works to cure and prevent colds, marshmellow root which is used to treat mild respiratory symptoms, including cough, and slippery elm which can relieve coughs, sore throats, diarrhea, and stomach problems. *** insert disclaimer here. I am not a medical professional. These products are to be used at your own discretion, I am simply offering advice and telling results from what I have experienced.
I usually lose folks at the mention of marshmellow root because not that many people have it in their homes and that's when my clients just start asking me to make it for them. You CAN do it yourself by following the recipe below.

You need:


Place all ingredients together in a bowl and start mixing and cutting them in together. It almost feels like pie crust at the beginning. I can't describe the process in words as well as the photos below illustrate.
It does take about 6-7 minutes of pressing and mixing to get it completely mixed.
Then you roll them into little balls using about 1/4 to 1/3 tsp of product. 
I put them on parchment paper and stick them in the fridge for about 4 hours to firm them up a bit before I wrap them up individually in the parchment paper.
Please note they will always be slightly soft, they are never going to be hard candy-like cough drops. Nor should they be.
Keep them in a sealed container and they will easily last for a month.





it almost feels like pie crust when you start cutting the powders into the honey.
i press a lot with the back of a spoon. 
throat drops. they taste much better than they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment