Friday, December 18, 2015

Sea Monkeys (yes, sea monkeys) as a muse for Permaculture Gardening


Even auto correct is concerned that I am typing about the right thing and is trying to auto correct the capitalization of Sea Monkeys as we speak.

These are such a fun throw back to child hood for me. They make a fun little smile gift for people and I have some that I care for in my office. No one at work is allergic to Sea Monkeys : )

You can buy them here.

The real reason that I am writing about them beyond their cuteness and the affinity I have for my little guys after having received them as a gift from Emily, is that they are a little microcosm that has me reflecting on permaculture gardening. #Permaculture gardening is developing a space until it meets all the needs of its inhabitants, from food and shelter to fuel and entertainment. 

When you first get your sea monkeys, they come with the shelter (the container) and food, the starter stuff for the water and also a little turkey baster type thing to aerate the water. 
They are not self sustaining. You need to add food regularly and also aerate the water just about every day for them to grow and live in your office as pets. 
Eventually, how-ever, you can foster an environment where algae starts to grow in the little tank. I was super excited the first time I saw that the algae was growing and there were little tiny air bubbles coming up from it. My monkeys were on their was to a self sustaining permaculture environment! It takes a lot of pressure off of 3 day weekends : )
Permaculture emphasizes the use of native plants or those that are well adapted to your locale. The goal here is to plant things you like, while making sure they have a purpose and benefit the landscape in some way. 
The algea in the tank acts as a food source for the monkeys and also by aerating the water, they are no longer dependent on my to sustain life! 
I want to take this premise and move forward for the planning of my permaculture garden and land for 2016. How can our land better sustain itself and us? What steps should I take first. What needs will be met? 
I'll post more on this in future blogs as I move along in the process. 
I'd love to hear your ideas and see what you have done if you have a permaculture set up in place. 
In the mean time... here are sea monkey tips for newbies who plan on getting these cute little guys (Sea Monkeys)
Sea monkeys #permaculture
:
1. Follow the directions clearly for setting up your tank. 
2. If you can't do a north facing window, just leave the side of the box up during the super sunny days.
3. Feed them on Tuesdays and Fridays and only use the small side of the scoop. Feed them even when they have algae. It's a treat.
4. Be super happy if algea starts to grow for you, too. It takes a few months.
5. Aerate the tank every day until you get algea. (they will make it over the weekend)
6. If you cycle through and don't get babies to keep your tank full, you can buy regular brine shrimp. Only use the little scoop side to pour a tiny amount in your tank. You get TONS!



No comments:

Post a Comment