Friday, October 25, 2013

Home Made English Muffins

This weekend will mark my third time making homemade bread. A month ago, hubby and I made white bread using Kitchenaid mixer. I do so love my Kitchenaid. We sliced this delectible brick of warm kitcheny goodness, topped each slice with our homemade farmer's cheese and sprinkled fresh, diced tomatoes from our garden on top. Popped in the oven to melt the cheese and it was so delicious. While the bread turned out great, it is less healthy than we need. So two weeks ago we made whole wheat bread. This was not my favorite, but I do think I was part of the problem. I covered it with saran wrap since I had no clean towels. As it rose (proofed), it made contact with the saran wrap and when I pulled the wrap off it sunk back down.
I tried letting it rise again but I was pushing the limits of my poor yeast's abilities and it came out harder than I would have liked. I now don't know if it was the recipe or poor proofing management.
So I am excited to try again, but in the mean time, I came across a recipe for home made english muffins on the Home (in) Stead blog so I will be trying these instead. I envision having 36 perfect muffins by Sunday and successfully freezing them for future uses.
Their recipe is here. Can I also mention here that I love their slogan... VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY ONE STEP AT A TIME.
This speaks very much to what our goals are. I don't believe I will ever be 100% off grid. I do know that we want to move in the direction of simplicity, self reliance, healthy, back to the earth living.

1 comment:

  1. Did you grease the top of the dough before you let it rise? The plastic wrap won't stick.

    ReplyDelete