Sunday, August 25, 2013

Canning summer squash and zucchini

I have never had summer squash. And to my knowledge I don't  like zucchini. But I was at a family reunion and my uncle gave me a basket filled with both. And now I will love them. This will be my first things that I canned that I didn't pay for since I didn't have a garden this summer . I am mega excited because so far canning has been expensive. Buying a pressure cooker and a water bath canner  and many jars has cost a pretty penny . Plus I have purchased every ingredient for each recipe that I found and was excited to try. The purist in me who wants healthy food for my family likes. The trying-to-be-a-homesteader does not.
So I jumped on Google while I was in the city and had internet and searched for canning summer squash. I choose to follow Canning Granny's recipe. There seems to be a little bit of controversy over canning summer squash and zucchini. Like every blogger out there... I am NOT making any recommendations or suggesting anything is safe. I am simply telling you what I chose to do and I trust Canning Granny's recipes.
There are a few blogs out there with a few techniques for doing this. Each one is followed by a panicked post from a reader saying that its not smart to can these items.
Canning Granny also included a few recipes to try which I am going to do this winter. And I will be making zucchini bread. I imagine we will love it since it came from my uncles garden and was canned at home.
Summer Squash (left) and zucchini (right) 

No comments:

Post a Comment