Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Dehydrating Apples for Healthy Snacking

dehydrating apple slices for healthy snacks

So we just dehydrated apples because we had quite a few and I didn't want them to go to waste. Apples are very easy to dehydrate and make a great snack. Especially for the healthy New Year New You : )

I use my Excalibur Dehydrator, which I love. 

Frankly I don't do anything to prep the apples, like citric acid or lemon juice, because I find that they come out just fine without adding anything to them. (There are links below to directions should you decide that you do want to do this, but our pics show that you don't really need to do this step).

1. Slice your apples. Peel them first if you'd like. We don't do that, but you could.
I use my handy dandy apple slicer to get uniform and thin slices and plop them on the trays. 
2. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. (optional)
3. Dehydrate at 135 degrees (F) for 6-8 hours. This batch went in for 8 hours because these McIntosh and Delicious Apples were pretty juicy. 
4. Store them anyway that works best for you.
dehydrating apple slices for healthy snacks


You can seal them in bags or jars and they will last 4-6 weeks. 

You can also use your Foodsaver to have them last longer.
I save all glass jars from anything, like spaghetti sauce, gravy... and use the jar sealer attachment on my food saver to seal them up. You can also, of course, use mason jars. 

You can also add another hour or two to the process and dry them all the way to apple chips. Apple chips last longer because more of the water is removed. My family just prefers the regular apple slices less dry.

This link gives some directions for ascorbic acid and lemon juice to keep your apples from browning during the process if you'd like to include that step. Again, I don't because it's never been an issue for me. 

You can check out our dehydrating dog treats page if you're in a dehydrating frame of mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment